Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Islamorada, Key Largo, and Jewfish Creek

I continued my journey through the "back" from my anchorage at Matecombe Bay through the ICW and up the Keys puttering around.

I remember years ago, my husband and I were stopped at the Jewfish Creek bridge, and I was straining to see around the curve as a vessel departed from my view.  I told him that I wanted to go through the creek.  When he asked me why, I told him because I hadn't been there before, and asked if he had.  He assured me he had, and that I hadn't missed anything.

When they built the new bridge, I was saddened as I could see that the creek wasn't very long, but, I'd still always wanted transit the creek anyhow.  Even though I planned to anchor off Key Largo, I went through the Creek into Card Sound, checked out some depths around the channel, and came back under the bridge to anchor for the evening off of Key Largo. 

The wind had calmed, and the seas were glassy, and enjoyed the sounds of a band wafting across the waters.  At some point a really bad lead guitar joined them, and detracted  from the music so much, I used that as a good excuse to watch a movie.

In the morning, I started back down the Keys, but stopped and reanchored in the north side of Tarpon Basin so I could explore some of the mangrove creeks of Everglades National Park with the 19' Whaler.  I would have anchored here the night before, but anticipated mosquito hordes as the winds dropped, which is why I chose my anchorage next to the sprayed areas of Key Largo.

Exploring by dinghy or kayak?  East of #42, you can take the mangrove creek east until you hit a T, then go right until you are in Tarpon Basin again.  Even more fun, turn to the SW at #42, and explore.  If I had been in the kayak, or even the inflatable, I suspect I could have got through to the basin I was anchored in, but with the Whaler, I eventually ran out of room (ht in one direction, beam in another)  It is absolutely gorgeous in there!

After two hours of plunking around, I returned to the Nordic tug and continued back down the Keys through the Gulf side.  In spite of all the warnings I saw on Active Captain, I never encountered any water that was less than 5.5' 

I anchored off the Lorelei in Islamorada and went back to exploring with the Whaler.  From the anchorage you can go through a clearly marked channel to the SW into Little Basin, and clearly see the Worldwide Sportsman, and the Islamorada Fish Company.  I docked the Whaler at their dock and enjoyed lunch there.  There were only a couple of boats at the dock, and the folks at the restaurant told me it was ok to stay docked there while visiting the store.  I always enjoy looking in the store, and actually made it out without buying anything.  Probably because my visit was short....

The sky turned that tornado-green color and the wind picked up as the forecasted cold front hit.  I decided Id move the MERCY on down a couple of miles to anchor in the corner of Matecumbe Bight where I had previously explored, and could get some shelter from the N winds that were forecast to go NE. 

The wind howled, but the holding is good in the Bight.

No comments:

Post a Comment