Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Dirty Laundry Little Secret



A couple of weeks before I left on this trip, I googled laundry washboard, or something like that, in search of a scrub board to wash some clothes, should I become really desperate.  I ended up with quite a washing machine!

Imagine a cross between a toilet plunger and a washing machine agitator, and you have this pretty cool product.

I put about a gallon and a half of water in a 5 gallon bucket, added a little laundry soap, and began the up and down.  I had read on amazon where one of the reviewers commented that your up-stroke was as important as the down stroke, so I made sure to use a little elbow grease on both strokes.  I was washing about two t-shirts at a time.
Then I wrung out the soapy water, and dropped them into my gallon and a half of rinse water, and plunged a little more.  When the rinse water became too soapy, I added a third bucket on the rinse end, and eventually replaced my dirty wash water with the second bucket, adding a little more soap.  

As I did the final rinse, I wrung them out the best I could and tossed them in another (dry) 5 gallon bucket until I had a group to hang on an improvised clothesline on the roof.

Then, Mercy-dog and I went in a search for more blue holes in the back of the Bight of Old Robinson. returning to the gorgeous beach at Lynyard Cay to sit in neck deep water to cool off.  

After a salad for lunch, I folded the dry, clean laundry, and saw that the solar panels had already caught up from the usage on the refrigerator, lights, and fans the night before.  I finished a little necessary paperwork, and moved down to anchor off Tahiti Beach, where my friends had moved up to.

When I got up to the anchorage, and surveyed the number of boat wakes, and the lack of wind, I decided I ought to move to a more secluded place where I didn't have to worry about the Whaler banging into the boat, or someone running over it.





No comments:

Post a Comment