Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2015

East Blue Hill, Galley Cove

Thursday, 6 August, 2015

This morning before we got underway at 0625, we had already seen eagle, osprey, a harbor seal, and LOONS!  I loved listening to their calls, and I think if they had stayed in the cove, I probably would have, too!  I'd always thought loons were only fresh water, but, one of the bird experts up here that I'd talked to last week told me that this time of year, they are in the salt water as well.
We eased our way around a couple of points of land, and up into Webber Cove, where we thought our friends on the S/V Lark had come into.  After a few minutes in the cove, and a telephone call, I discovered that they were at the Webber Cove Boatyard facility at East Blue Hill.
We saw a lot of harbor seals strewn out on the rocks at low water, enjoying the early morning sun.
We grabbed a mooring at East Blue Hill, and took the dogs to the beach to the ENE.  We met a man kayaking who had been in Galley Cove the day before, and he talked to us about some of his favorite areas.  We will have to check a few of them out!  We saw another loon come swimming through the moored boats.
Our friends from the LARK picked us up at the dinghy dock at noon, and we went to Blue Hill for lunch.  While we sat on the patio and ate, we watched a couple of kids swimming in the bay.  My Florida blood is too thin to swim in this water, though, with a dry suit, I'd love to do some diving here in this cold, clear water.  I suspect the rock ledges are magnificent!
Mike and Linda had received an autopilot fluxgate compass for me, which I hope will fix my autopilot problem.  I'm a little pessimistic.  I am, however, grateful for someone who would receive and hold a package for us!  They also graciously took us to the grocery store where I grabbed diet cokes and cokes while we had vehicle access, as well as some fresh veggies.
We left in the afternoon, hoping to be able to get a mooring in Galley Cove, which we did.  Shortly after our arrival, a 55' vessel came in and politely asked us to move, as we were on his private mooring.  David Rockefeller?  A local lobster boat who was showing his friends the cove, and fishing, moved to allow us on the other mooring, which also belongs to the Rockeffers, and talked to us over the rail for several minutes.  What a nice young man, Jake, on the RAMPAGE.  Everyone I've met in this place is nice!












No comments:

Post a Comment