Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Air show by boat?

This post is not boat related, so for bloggers who only read boat stuff, skip this one.  I started to go by boat, but, changed my mind.

I waited too late to call the marina at Boca Chica, NAS, and they never returned my call.

My friend, Ellen, is here, and we decided to go see the Blue Angels and the air show at Boca Chica NAS, Key West.  We discussed the whole, one if by land, two if by sea thing, and decided if we were going by boat, that we would probably have a good view from the military marina there.  As I mentioned, I waited too late to call them.  Plan B, we went by truck, and that worked out very well.

We arrived at the beginning of the days activities, and stayed through until the very end.  I enjoyed all the skilled pilots acrobatics, the visit from the Budweiser Clydesdales, and the precision landings of the paratroopers.

I began by holding my breath as the first pilot did his death defying stunts, willing him to stay above ground level.  I decided I'm not an air show sort of spectator.  I realize these pilots are some of the best, and their acrobatics are extensively practiced.  But, why do something that the slightest mechanical twitch, or pilot error is a death sentence?  I've heard some NASCAR fans say they go to the races for the wrecks.  I hope we don't have air show folks there for the same reason.

Later in the day, I watched a large egret, and then later, an osprey, fly along and across the runway while the planes were whipping in and out, and marvelled at their flying ability, and hoped they didn't wreck, or cause one.  I suppose I watch the planes, and marvel at the pilots. I watch the birds fly, and marvel at our Creator.

I also thought it was funny that as the Clydesdales went by, everyone was ooo-ing and ahh-ing, but do you know who got the applause?  (The dog got a little.)  The applause award went to the guy following the wagon who stopped and picked up the poop.  I wonder if he was surprised, or if he gets that reaction everywhere.  He smiled and waved.

The Blue Angels were, as always, spectacular.  The crowd kept looking in every direction, as the planes split up and converged time and again in front of the airfield.  We probably had a better view than we would have had at the marina on a mooring ball.



No comments:

Post a Comment