Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My little piece of the world

I haven't been blogging much lately, since I haven't recently been on any multiple day trips by vessel. (You will be happy to know that I am underway at least once a week, and have made frequent overnight trips, to keep the vessel systems fully operational, and to preserve my sanity, such as it is...)

I decided last year that I would make a point to try to say "hi" to boaters passing through my area, and try to do some little thing to contribute to their voyage enjoyment or safety. The first thing I needed to do was to determine where "my area" would be. Then I take the Whaler out every couple of days, and if a trawler or sailboat that appears to be cruising is anchored within my little piece of the world, I stop by, pass a boat card, and offer them a place to tie their dinghy, a ride to the grocery store for reprovisioning with my truck, a visit to the local drug store, or auto parts, etc. Several boaters have taken me up on it.
Friends on the porch

In the course of the last few months, I've met a lot of folks, helped a few, made a few friends, and hope I've added a little bit to their journeys.

Even though many boaters are avid walkers, it sure is nice to have a vehicle to haul heavy items... One couple caught cokes on sale and we packed up twenty 12 packs for them to begin their Bahamas cruise. I've transported a lot of groceries, a few pails of oil, and several tanks of lp and gasoline. I try to remember to take their garbage in, too.

Local knowledge goes a long ways towards finding a doctor, a dentist, a vet, and miscellaneous boat parts.

I've also met some great people from the web, other trawlers, who have treated me to dinner, shared great sea stories, and added to my life. I had two couples from the T&T list come to the house for a great visit, and take me to dinner the next day, whose company I enjoyed so greatly I almost cruised north with them!

Over my life I've been blessed by many others coming to my aid, and by kindnesses extended to me. I live in a neighborhood of helpful folks who have extended themselves to me in hospitality and support. I've had others visit me when I was sick, feed me when I was hungry, comfort me when I was troubled, drive me when I needed transport, and help me when I needed a hand. I thank God for a good community.

I can't help everyone, everywhere, but, I've had a lot of fun targeting my little piece of the world, and trying to make it just a little better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment