Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Marineland, FL

Tues-Wed, 17-18 November, 2015

I sure have had fun playing tourist since I've been here!

We walked the River to the Sea Trail with the dogs in the early morning.  Then, we walked on the beach....

Then, I went with our guide Quinn, and three other boaters, on a kayak trip through the salt marshes to the west of the marina.  Quinn was easy going, and full information on the unique ecosystem this area creates, as the transition zone of northernmost fringe of mangrove trees, and the gradual loss the grasses that dominate the coastal areas to the north.

While I was kayaking, Ellen attended a lecture over at Marineland  by an attorney who is trying to have wildlife poachers in foreign countries prosecuted.  He works at White Oak, on the Florida/Georgia border, where they rehabilitate many of these maimed wild animals.

In the afternoon, Ellen made a trip to Publix with a couple of other boaters.

It was hot, and blew and rained during the night, which made being at the dock with air conditioning pretty nice.

On Wednesday, we went over to Marineland.  I enjoyed watching the dolphins playing together with a ball that the staff had tossed in.  The seven or eight dolphins in that tank were enjoying their game.  One brought the ball to me, through the glass.  I tried to get him to toss it over the high sided glass tank, which he tried eight or ten times, unsuccessfully.

I can not tell you how many balls I have tossed into the water with dolphins playing around the boat, and have yet to see the first one even investigate it.  I've always retrieved the balls to try again later, but, I have never seen that sort of play as an action you would see in the wild.

I did a little boat work, and we are ready to be heading south again on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment