Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

A weekend in Morehead City

When we pulled into Morehead City the other evening, I was struggling with a cold.   We just shut down for a day, and I slept.  Rudy rented a car, picked up a couple of items, and, well, I don't really know all he did, because I slept!

A friend, and former Coastie, Tom Ri!ce, lent his practically brand new outboard to us to use for the rest of the trip!  His dad delivered the outboard Friday night, shortly after we arrived, and we put it on the inflatable on Saturday.  The little boat runs great now!  We had a borrowed 20 year old outboard on it before, a little smaller, and MUCH louder, but it barely pushed the vessel.  This outboard is so quiet, very dependable-looking, and I know will add greatly to the trip.  Thanks Tom!

Sunday, Rudy drove us to Jacksonville, NC, where my friends C.L.and Cora Varvel are pastoring at Crossroads Assembly of God. The church is friendly, the music was awesome, C.L. gave a good Word, and it was great seeing old friends!  We enjoyed service with them, and ate lunch with them afterwards in Swansboro.  I managed to Shanghai them into cruising with me from Morehead City to Swansboro tomorrow, after Rudy jumps ship and heads for the airport in Wilmington.



The folks at Portside Marina in Morehead City have been wonderful.  They told me tonight that I now have family in North Carolina.  They are friendly and helpful, and I've enjoyed the couple of days here.  The access in is easy, it is next to the commercial port, but not noisy from it. 




It was cold this morning, however, so I intend to head further south in the morning.  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment