Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Hollywood Beach to Hobe Sound

Monday, April 27, 2015

This morning, we picked up the anchor and went over to the Hollywood Beach Marina fuel dock, to take on diesel for $3.20/gal.  They let me top of the water tank (We probably hadn't used ten gallons) but told me their rules wouldn't let me rinse the boat off.  I did, however, accidentally spray my windows while talking the hose to where I could cut it off at the spigot!

We went back to the anchorage to take advantage of the free wi-fi for a few minutes, and then got underway about 0830, headed north.

What a difference a day makes!  For starters, all the week-end warriors were gone.  Not only were thousands of less boats on the waterway, but a higher percentage of them seemed to be helmed by a slightly more competent group.
The sweltering heat had subsided a little, making things a little more bearable.

My friends who told me the inside was too slow and tedious, will be glad to know that of the 30 bridges we passed under, we only had to open at three.  I held me breath on one and wiggled under.
Jupiter Inlet 

When we arrived at Hobe Sound, NOAA was broadcasting warnings about 68 kt thunderstorms and golf-ball sized hail coming from Lake Okeechobee.  We turned on the tv, and they said billiard sized hail.  We shut the tv off, and watched on the radar as the bulk of the storm went around us.  We probably saw 40 kt winds and rain to give us the badly needed boat rinse. 
We watched a trawler nearby re-anchor two or three times, before loosing sight of him until the rain subsided, and I was grateful for good anchoring tackle, and for having the time to circle my anchorage a few times before dropping and setting the hook,  We had this anchorage to ourselves, and that was nice, too.
The day was topped off with a gorgeous full rainbow, too big for me to capture on the iPad, and temperatures a dozen degrees cooler than last night.  It is slick calm now, and I'll call it a night, and enjoy the cooler weather.












No comments:

Post a Comment