Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Tavernier Creek to Hollywood Beach

Sunday, April 26, 2015

We departed our anchorage around 0740, and continued our journey north.  I always enjoy the couple of mangrove creeks we pass through.  There were a bunch of sailboats headed towards Miami, and it was interesting watching them on their downwind reach.  

Gilberts Marina

I think I mentioned yesterday that SW and W winds are really unusual down here.  Well, the west wind made it REALLY hot.  I had traded texts with Casey and Mary, who complained they had gone too far north, too fast, and it was cold and rainy!  I just grumbled about how hot it was!  Mary amused with with a text of "acceptable" temperature overnight lows, for the cities between us.  When we turned the television on, we found out that Miami had experienced an all time record high, 96 I think.  

Anyhow, we crossed Card Sound and Biscayne Bay with all the sailboats and continued north up the ICW.  I had told Ellen before we didn't want to be in Miami on the week-end, due to all the boating traffic.  It seemed everybody, and all their friends were out on their boats this Sunday afternoon, I mean, with the record heat, isn't that the best place to be?


We had planned to stop at the anchorage near Haulover Inlet, by FIU, but, this is what the area looked like, so we kept going.  

The only place I've never been on the AICW is from Haulover Inlet north to Stuart.  I can't count the times I've been offshore, and all of my south Florida friends have told me I was nuts to run the AICW with all the bridges.  I've pulled my SSB antenna off for this years trip, so I don't have to contend with that antenna, and laying the others back to the height of the mast, meaning I can get under a bridge if I have 12' 11"  Determined to "check the box," I am also determined to enjoy it!


There are hi-rises on both sides of the waterway, and I was amazed to see depths over 40 feet in places along the waterway.  I'm not much of a city girl, but driving through by water is more interesting than by auto!

We anchored for the night in North Lake, across from the Hollywood Marina.  If I had realized before I dropped the hook that they were still open, I think we would have gotten a slip.  Next time I'll know.
N 26 00.979' W 080 07.184'  The shallow lake provided a calm area, in spite of 20kt winds out of the west. 


No comments:

Post a Comment