Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Manatee Cove to Ponce DeLeon Inlet

Thursday, April 30, 2015

We woke up today well aware of how much difference a few degrees to the north can make in temperature!  We enjoyed a cooler dog walk, and tended to morning boat chores.

The pumpout at the marina is only open during office hours, so we waited until 9:00 to pump out, putting us underway about 0930, heading north on the Banana River.  The chart makes depths look a little iffy, but, I was assured there was enough water in the channel.  I left the channel a little before 6B to head directly for 12, a shortcut that I had been told I could take.  A trawler with a 5' draft was coming a little behind me, and he told me he lived near there.  When I got to the charted shallower depths, I just fell in behind him.  It is pretty simple and straightforward to stay in depths for a 5' draft.  After we passed under the Bennett Memorial Causeway bridge, we turned west, through the barge canal extension, and then turned north, back onto the ICW.  

I had been through the canal before (Harbourtown Marina has cheaper fuel) and it is fun looking at the manatee and the birds.

The wind was blowing from the NW around 15 as we transited up the Indian River, turning east to pass under the Allenhurst-Haulover bridge, and then turn NW up the Mosquito Lagoon.

As we passed through New Smyrna Beach, we watched some of the biggest manatee I've ever seen rolling on the surface.  It is a pretty area.
We anchored for the night in Rockhouse Creek with four other trawlers and a sailboat.  N29 03.6 W080 55.8.  Coming from the south on the ICW, which means right here you are heading west, be sure to clear the sand shoal on the eastern edge of Rockhouse Creek before turning towards the north.  Everyone else was anchored in a line on towards the western shore, but I tucked into the pocket to the north of the shoal.  There is water almost up to the bank.  We were in less current there, with plenty of swing room.  
The view is great!  This is the light at Ponce De Leon inlet.











No comments:

Post a Comment