Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Rockhouse Creek to Matanzas Pass

May 1, 2015

Dawn was as beautiful this morning as sunset was last night.  We left our tranquil little anchorage and continued our journey to the north.

This 44.3nm day took us through a little bit of everything from marsh and coastal estuary to old Florida houses, to downtown Daytona Beach.

I think we should have made this run yesterday, when the speed limit was different.  I guess the manatee are out of school for the summer, and are out playing until after Labor Day.  
Do these dates seem suspicious to anyone but me?  I love manatee, but, I believe that most of Florida's signs are based on estimated traffic patterns of boats rather than manatee.  The slowest manatee zones are always in front of the most expensive waterfront.  "Slow speed" means anything from 30 mph downward.  If you believe the signage, manatees generally hang out around houses.

Anyhow, after a short day, we pulled into Matanzas Pass and anchored a little above Fort Matanzas at N29 43.038' W 081 14.488'
Approaching from the south, we remained in the ICW until we had passed the unseen shoal at the mouth of the pass, and entered from the NW, about halfway between 80A and 80B, watching the way the current was going through the cut.  I never saw less than 8' at .5' tide.

We launched the RIB, and spent the afternoon with the dogs playing on the beach.  For awhile we played to the west of the ICW channel, then we went to the little sand island towards the mouth of the inlet, still inside the bridge.  The dogs are sleeping soundly tonight!

We didn't go walk in the Fort.  You are required to take the ferry over for that, with a group, even though the tour appears to be unguided.

There are four trawlers anchored in the pass tonight, with no need for anyone to be in close proximity to another.  Unfortunately, the last boat to arrive (we were in here first)  came in and plopped down pretty close to me.  About 9pm, when I would have turned in, his vessel came within a boat length of me, so he relocated.  With all the room that is in here, I'm not sure why he only moved a few feet.  His stern is now located within two boat lengths of my bow.  If I had a float on my anchor, the line would be tangled in his prop!  I hope he doesn't drag anchor again.

BTW, the current rips through here, especially this close to the full moon.  And so, with the current and ripple of waves sounding against the hull, I'll try to enjoy the sounds of the anchorage without losing sleep over the vessel in front of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment