Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Aboard the MERCY in Cambridge, MD

Monday, 5 October 2015

I am writing from the Mercy, where I returned about midnight on Thursday, in the rain, and 35 knot winds.  A gale warning stayed in effect through Sunday evening.  The gale force winds were from a nor'easter that sort of got stuck here as Hurricane Joaquin got stuck in the Bahamas.  The boat is in a great place for wind from this direction.  I added a couple more lines, and watched it blow, concerned for my friends in the Bahamas.

The only reports I've seen from Long Island, San Salvadaor, Rum Cay, and the Crooked Islands are of extensive damage, due to the Cat 4 Hurricane sitting on top of them for as long as it did.  Since electric and communications are out on those islands, news reports are sparse.  I understand the Bahamas government has lifted the import duties on hurricane relief materials.

The autopilot pump on the MERCY was giving me enough problems that I contracted with Mid-Shore Electronics in Cambridge to change it out, flush the hydraulic system, and install a new Furuno autopilot.  An aluminum plate is being built and powder coated to mount the electronics.  The owner of the company seems like a great guy to work with.  When I talked to him about leaving the boat for a month to go down and give Dad a hand, he let me leave the vessel at his facility.  I wasn't expecting to come back until mid October, but, you know what they say about schedules!

The threat of Hurricane Joaquin changed my plans, and I'm back early.  They left the vessel in running condition, rather than leave the vessel inoperational while they changed out the pump, which was a great relief to me.  As it was, I didn't have to move the vessel at all, but it took the stress off just knowing I could if I needed to.  But, since I came back early, the job isn't complete yet (it wasn't supposed to be) and I'll do some other boat chores in the meantime.  It looks like tomorrow is the first day the wind will lay down enough to get out on the Chesapeake, even if the boat were ready!

Ellen and Mocha are staying with Dad, getting him to a few more doctor appointments, and some various MRI tests.  

Life can be so unpredictable, but then, that keeps things interesting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment