Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

The Keys, Florida is long, the Panhandle

The week of September 21, 2015

Sometimes it is nice to have unlimited mileage on a rental car.  After a couple of days at home, I made a round trip to Miami for a doctor's appointment, and then drove up the state.

Remarkable events of the week would have to include a ride on the motorcycle.  I lovingly uncovered my Suzuki S83, and was glad that Bob had put the smart charge on her and had run here a little bit a couple of weeks ago.  I was a little surprised that the gas tank was low, as I thought I'd topped it off with non-ethanol gas before leaving, to keep the tank from rusting.  I decided that in my last minute getting ready, that I must not have.

I grabbed my jacket, and helmet, and headed towards Big Pine for non-ethanol gas. It was the week of the Poker Run, and there were hundreds of bikes on the road.  I waved at everybody, as they were all headed south.  I pulled into the gas station, and got gas, and continued on up to a local store.  When I came out of the store, I stood beside the bike to start it, something I never do, I almost always straddle it.  From my vantage point, I could see gasoline dribbling down to the muffler.  I promptly shut the engine down, and examined the deteriorated gas line, that had punctured at a clamp.  I thanked the Lord that I had not ridden on, where the gasoline could have ignited against the hot muffler, putting me with a gas tank between my legs.  I called Rudy, who is keeping my truck running by using it occasionally, and he came and picked me up.  I went and grabbed the bike trailer, and Rudy helped me load her, and I went home, and lovingly covered up the bike to change the gas lines on my return.  I could go into a rant right here about ethanol, and its economic and dangerous impact, but, I'll let it go.

My Dr.'s appointment went well in Miami, using the rental car, instead of the bike, and on Wednesday, I crossed the State to Dad's.

For those with aging parents, you can appreciate the decisions one has to make when an intervention is required concerning independent living, and driving privileges.  I'm not very popular around here right now.  It is rough to be perceived as the bad guy when your motives are right.

Thanks for all the emails and phone calls of friends this past week!

I have to tell you about an email the blog got today.  Those English teachers who sometimes encourage me to correct my grammar should get a smile out of this.

The email came as an offer from someone who I could hire to write the blog for me.  I can see where that would be exceeding difficult, since I generally write about places and events as I pass through an area.  I was amused that someone who would notice the blog wasn't getting updated with its regular frequency.  

I'm always careful checking out any link, but did read the individual's profile.  I will leave you with the following direct quote from his profile under "Interests."

"Writing became my hobby and desirable job since the graduation of the University.  My core competencies include the wide range types of writing.  I also a coach for writers, help them manage their time."

If anyone is interested in using his services, I can pass you his name....

No comments:

Post a Comment