Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Fort Frederico to Brunswick, GA

13-14 May 2015

I realized after I'd posted the last blog, that the pin hole in the fuel line was in a line I had NOT changed out.... hmmm.  In my routine maintenance, I had decided that one had looked ok.  It had, however, reached replacement time.
Damaged fenders on ICW bridge to Lanier Island
We went out the south end of the Frederico River, and up to Brunswick, under this Brunswick Bridge.
On the way in, we were following a shrimpboat, who I talked to on the VHF to find a hydraulic shop.  Having shrimped before, I can tell you that hydraulic hose replacement is something shrimpers know!  He recommended a shop that goes by a couple of different names, along the same road the marina is on.

The marina, Brunswick Landing, is great!  The floating docks are at the far end of a protected waterway, with friendly staff, free water, $4 electric, $1.50/ft, free laundry, good wi-fi, captains lounge, and loaner bicycles.

I borrowed said loaner bicycle after removing the villain fuel hose, as well as two other short hoses that I had chosen not to replace earlier.  The lady at the marina said a mile and a half.  The shrimper had told me a couple of miles.  The one positive thing that I can say about riding down a narrow shoulder of a busy road is that it is flat along the coast.  Until the overpass.  After walking the bike to the top of the overpass when my pedaling legs gave out, I was surprised to see that it only went over the train track... no need to go over the overpass!  
I paused on the overpass to catch my breath and contemplate whether I was going to ride into the traffic coming down the hill, or go through the group of prisoners that were doing maintenance along the shoulder.  The one thing I knew, I had NO plans of using the brakes!  Momentum is everything!  The prisoners scattered like flies, no, I'm just kidding, though I did get a really strange look from a corrections officer.  At the bottom of the hill was the hydraulic shop!


I staggered into the shop, and presented my hoses, and within fifteen minutes Billy had me back in business.  He told me he'd like to give me a ride back, but couldn't close the shop.  He offered me some water, and told me it was 3.2 miles.  It seemed that far going, but seemed much shorter coming back!

I came back like a local, under the overpass, past a jail and a detention center, through two cemeteries, and through one dubious neighborhood that I'd been advised to stay out of.  I figured it was safer than the traffic!  Plus, at that point, I just looked like some crazy bicycle riding wild haired lady carrying a bulging bag.  I rode through like I'd stolen the bike, and figured any ne'er-do-wells were probably still asleep. 
The rest of the day comprised of installing the lines, bleeding and priming the system, cleaning the fuel out of the bilge, and making my engine room ship-shape again.  Then I took a long and glorious shower trying to get the diesel smell off!  

Ellen and I took advantage of the free laundry, and watched Survivor on television while the laundry was going.  That is one of the nicest laundry experiences I've ever had at a marina!
Thursday morning, Alfred Amerson, from High Tide Endeavors, came to the boat to install a Phantom Screen on the stbd pilothouse door.  The MERCY already had that type screen on the port and aft doors, though a recent dog incident had holed the aft screen.  He re-screened the two older doors (I figure the screens were 13 yrs old) and double up on the magnets that hold them closed.  The new door doesn't use magnets, but, a spring loaded catch.  Alfred was early, conscientious, and a real nice man.  If you need Phantom screens in coastal Georgia, he is the man to contact!

After the screens were finished, we walked up to Foxes for pizza (really good, thin crust) talked to a lot of boaters, and did a few boat chores.  With clean laundry, topped off water, boat repaired and happy, we plan to take on fuel in the morning and continue our adventure to the north. 












No comments:

Post a Comment