Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Gwynn Island to Pocomoke

Monday, 15 June, 2015

This morning we departed our anchorage at Gwynn Island to continue our journey.  <Note to Pastor, don't let a side-trip become a destination... there's got to be a message there!>
As we went back under the now familiar swing bridge, we spotted an egret nest, complete with young.  It had been there all along, we'd just been too busy to notice, appreciate it.  Since we didn't get a photo, you'll just have to imagine it... The bridge swings open and shut multiple times daily... The osprey family poked their heads up, and looked around as the bridge swung, seemingly enjoying their ride, and their new perspective of the neighborhood!  I commented to the bridge tender that I liked his ospreys, and he told me he thought they enjoy the ride!
We went out Hills Cut, and out the Piankatank River, and crossed the Chesapeake Bay to the east side to explore in hot, calm, sultry weather.  

We had found a river that we wanted to check out, and I'm so glad we did!  We went up the Pocomoke River, to the town of Pocomoke.  Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself... I'll write about the town tomorrow, and the friendly people, and the free municipal dock, with free water, and 50 amp electric... 
The trip across the Bay was calm.  The conditions were a little hazy, and I'm glad I have AIS readily displayed on my plotter, as well as listed through the VHF.  AIS enables you to see vessels (who are transmitting) position, speed, course, CPA, name, vessel information, where they are going to cross your path, their radio MMSI number (think telephone number)  It makes life so simple to select them, call them on the radio, and confirm their intentions if there are any doubts. I'm even happier that the big guys can see little ole me!
We crossed south of Tangier Island, south of Watt's Island, up Pocomoke Sound, across "the Muds", through a dug canal, and up the Pocomoke River.  I had read reports on Active Captain about shallow water.  I suspect those folks had strayed out of the channel.  Tugs and barges routinely use this stretch, and they draw far more than I do.  I will say, it is easy to stray out of the channel if you don't pay attention.  The answer is remember to stay in the middle of the channel.  I regress...
The Pocomoke River is a naturally deep river.  The entrance is marsh grass.  Ellen says all marsh looks the same, but not to me!  The grass here is different than further south.  The flies are ever present, and appear kin to those further south.  I'm so glad we have screens!  

It was so HOT today... how hot was it?  You have to supply your own jokes here, it was hot!  The river made many serpentine turns, and some of them would allow a cool breeze through the side doors.  All fans were fanning.  We did not succumb to running the generator and the air conditioning.  I feared stopping to swim, by being sucked dry by blood-sucking biting flies.  That, and Ellen can't get back on the boat....
The further up the river, the more interesting it became.  Pines began to appear in the higher ground of the marsh grass.  Gorgeous old farms began to appear.  The river passes through Maryland and Virginia.  Poultry farms are common in the flat ground.  Oyster, shrimp, and crab boats near the river entrance changed to recreational boats at farms.
There were so many eagles that we lost count of them.  Every dead tree had an eagle perched on its loft, as well as many living trees that they were resting on their branches.  We saw at least a couple of dozen eagles!  What a great view!   And geese!  The folks here complain about all the goose and duck uh, residue, that covers everything.  Geese are everywhere!  Red-wing blackbirds, swallows, etc.

When we got to Pocomoke, we requested a bridge opening (the bridge is only 4' clearance, and were told that due to an accident, it would be awhile to clear traffic.  Fortunately, the city has FREE docks on both sides of the bridge, so we stopped on the downstream side.
I called Town Hall, who you must register with to dock, and they told me to drop by in the morning.  They also said they weren't sure if the dock we were at was theirs, or belonged to the restaurant.  I asked the restaurant manager on duty, and she thought it belonged to the city.  I concluded it belonged to the city, since the electrical post matches those of the city's, even though there is no number on these!  The fixtures are new, with 50 amp service only.  Bring an adapter if you don't have 50amp!  
I'll write more about the town tomorrow, and the great folks I've already met here...

No comments:

Post a Comment