Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Still in Norfolk

Tuesday 09 June 2015

Today, the morning was spent cleaning and polishing the SS rails, walking the dogs, and hiking back up to the NEX to get some SS cleaner/polisher after an hour searching in vain for the one that is tucked away in some hidden, forgotten, or overlooked compartment.
Our little fold-up wagon is working very well.  We bought the wagon at Sam's, and it is easily pulled, even when full of groceries.
This evening, Ellen's friend Doug took us to dinner (thank you Doug!) and after dinner showed us his new Phantom 3 drone.  I must confess, every since my friend, Moises, introduced me to the concept of a quad copter drone, I have been wanting one!  Since I have no first-born child to sell off, I have waited.  After flying Doug's drone, I may rashly enter the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes, or consider purchasing a lottery ticket.
I can't tell you how cool the drone is, but, of course, I'll try.  The drone is the latest generation, with a Sony camera replacing those designed for the Go-Pro's.  The camera is gimbled, and has no fish-eye on the lens, a positive for me...  The drone has a built in GPS, as well as a compass you calibrate before flying.  The controller is easy to operate, and allows you to plug in your tablet to easily see what you are filming.  It is designed so that if the controller ever loses contact with the drone, the drone returns to the place it took off from to land.  It also does that if the batteries run low.
I watched Doug fly the quad around the parking lot.  If you let go of the controls, the quad stops, hovering wherever you were, facing whichever way it was facing.  I couldn't believe he let me fly it!  With his experience, and my caution, he flew the unit faster, higher, and further than I did.  I kept the unit low, circling us in the parking lot, and landing it twice.  The battery is said to last 23 minutes.
I'm trying to figure out where we can take the boat where Doug can circle and film us.  I don't suppose I can do that at the military marina, moored next to the REAL helicopter field, with their armed, manned, and flying helicopters.
I have no photos of the really cool drone (why do I never think of these things?!)
Instead, you have more photos of our trip through Norfolk, and our wagon!
















No comments:

Post a Comment