Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Newport, Point Judith, Port Washington

9 September, 2015

I eased out of the slip a little before daylight, to take advantage of the early morning's lighter winds.  This time going out, I went through the main channel at the high spot in the bridge, and headed around Bull Point, where it was light enough to see the shoreline clearly.  Then it was pretty much a straight shot for Point Judith, where I ducked into the opening on the eastern side of the breakwater, and up the river to Point Judith marina to take on fuel. 
The Point Judith marina is large, has good floating docks, and the cheapest fuel around the area.  ($2.10/gal plus RI tax.)  No one was around when I docked, and they didn't answer the radio, but, by the time I'd tied up, and grabbed the phone to call, someone was there.  After taking on fuel, and topping off the gas tank for the dinghy, the dogs and I walked around a bit to stretch before the long day.
I was watching a weather window open and close for the NJ coast, where at the least, this boat must go offshore between Sandy Hook and Manasquan Inlet, and again between Atlantic City and Cape May.  I planned to make a long day to Port Washington.
I went out the western opening in the breakwater, and headed for Watch Hill Point.  I was surprised how much sandy beach was along the coast.  It was nice to be able to see the coast, as when we'd passed through Watch Hill Point last, it had been very foggy.
I would have liked to make a direct pass through the Race, to run up Long Island Sound, but, would have been hitting it about the time of the 4.3 kt max current for the day hitting us on the nose.  Instead, I ran close in by Fisher Island, enjoying the break from the southwest sea, and then changing course for Port Washington, NY, about a WSW angle.
It was afternoon before the current changed in my direction, which while welcome, also made for a shorter chop.  I angled a little more to the SW as the winds picked up, putting us in the lee of the high hills of Long Island.  We paralleled the coast, staying within a mile to a mile and half off.
By the time darkness fell, the seas were knocked down, there were very few traps, and the current was giving us a great push.  I was glad to be able to pull into a calm, familiar harbor at Port Washington.  As I idled in, I saw a couple of empty transient moorings to the right of the channel.  The first one I went to had no painter, but the second one I eased up to did.  
It was warm and still when I hit the rack, which was shortly after taking the mooring.  I scrambled out of bed as torrential rain began, to close the hatches.  I don't think from the time I woke up until the time I'd closed 20 skylights, and portholes, and doors, and was back asleep was more than a couple of minutes.  I was tired!    128.5 nm today.

















No comments:

Post a Comment