Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Southport, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC

After coming out of the Cape Fear River into Southport, the ICW becomes a ditch again.  That is NOT to say that it is not very interesting. 

We left Southport with the tide pushing us up the ditch.  There were scores of wading birds in the flats along the way, soon to be under four feet of tidal waters.

Further south, well, actually more westerly, the ditch is cut through some sandy, tidal inlets, some woods, crosses a couple of creeks and rivers, and past loads of houses.  There are huge sections of docks that you need to pass with no wake.  This vessel leaves such a minimal wake that it makes it really nice, you don't have to idle down all the way.


When I passed under the Barefoot Landing Swing Bridge, I made a sudden decision to stop for the day.  I mean, how could I pass Myrtle Beach, SC without stopping?  I've never been here, and figured I ought to walk up into town.  There are marinas on either side of the ICW, and I saw vessels that I'd met in Morehead City on each side.  Barefoot Landing Marina has 50amp service, great wi-fi, and dozens of specialty shops and restaurants in their development.  As I type this, at 0500, in torrential rain and gusty wind, it is nice to be tucked in here with the heater running!

Mercy and I walked about a mile up the road to a grocery store, and then back.  The town of North Myrtle Beach isn't designed for pedestrians.  The lack of sidewalks (tnere is one for a little ways) and crosswalks makes the journey along the four lane interesting.  I'd have to be desperate to get to the grocery store to do it again.  We did pass the sign that informed us this is Vanna White's hometown.

I tried to get some photos that showed how the trees grow tapered to the wind direction coming across the sand dunes and tidal flats.  None showed it as well as I'd like.


The dockmaster here told us to watch for a family of otters that swim along these builkheads.  I'm hoping to see them when it gets daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment