Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Checking out the back of Great Exuma










I took the Whaler down the east coast of Great Exuma at high tide, all the way to the Ferry. The shallowest spot was the bar between Rolletown and Man o War Cay. It would I idled over it, and was glad it was a high tide. At the Ferry, I went under the bridge, and worked my way out to the west coast, and ran south to the Goat Cay/Hog Cay cut. I decided it would be plenty doable with my 4'4" draft.





I also ran up the east coast, staying well


inside Pigeon Cay. I left a breadcrumb trail, and decided that was also doable with the Mercy, regardless of tide.





I bought an unlocked T-Mobile device from Georgetown, and a data SIM card from BTC. I now have cellular internet. While I won't be posting any photos until I can hook into wi-fi, it is nice to be able to watch the weather.





On Sunday morning, with a little drop in the wind, I raised anchor and headed south in the Mercy, Whaler in tow. I ran down my trail, through Hog Cay Cut, and up through the cut between Bowe Cay on the west, and Jewfish Cay to the east.





I changed course then to clear Rocky Point, and then turned up through Pudding Point. I rounded Pudding Point, and headed east until I could pass to the west of Pigeon Cay. It sure was a long way to go for such a short distance, but, it kept me from running the rough waters of the Sound.





From here, I was back in familiar waters, and went north to anchor in a cove off a lovely beach along Lee Stocking Island.





Mercy and I went to the beach and enjoyed a good romp on the beach. Mercy dog played like a puppy. I was kinda tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment