Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

On to Georgetown



Tuesday July 2





The wind dropped off a little early this morning, so I was underway by 0400. From Thompson Bay to Georgetown is shallow water most of the way, so it doesn't get rough the way the Sound can, just sort of a nasty chop. Running directly downwind, however, made for an easy trip. By the time I got where I needed to be able to see coral heads, the sun was high enough I could.





I swung in to Hog Cay to look at the cut through there, but had hopes that at some point in the next ten days the wind would drop enough to run the Sound from Georgetown to the north, at least up 20 miles or so to get out of the real shallow inside waters.





In Georgetown, I did the drive-by, looking for Rudy and Jill on the Briney Bug. I spotted them anchored off Monument Beach. I saw the Swing Set in the planned marina area at Crab Cay, and talked to Rolls Doc at Sand Dollar Beach, where I had originally planned on going. The wind however, from the SE was blowing better than 20, putting a roller in there, so I went around to the calm secluded anchorage at Red Shank. The area provides an easy access to the beach for Mercy dog.





A quick Whaler exploration found Next Gig just around the corner, a little further up from where I was anchored. Later, I heard, but didn't see, Bye Polar.





It rained enough Tuesday afternoon and evening to top the water tank off.





On Wednesday, I went by and talked to the Next Gig, went on to Georgetown and saw the Briney Bug had come and anchored close to go to the store. At the grocery dock, looking for Rudy and Jill, I ran into Mike and Rosie from the Swing Set. It is kind of fun, this loose knit boating community. The Blue Heaven, a trawler anchored near the Briney Bug promised to call me when he saw the couple return.





In the afternoon, Rudy called me from the Blue Heaven, and I ran over to meet Jill and Rudy and give them a hard time for Rich on the Calypso.





I spent hours plotting various scenarios for getting to Staniel Cay to pick up Dorothy on the 11th if the winds keep up, as forecast. Everyone says this is the windiest summer they can remember.





From Georgetown, you have a couple of options. You can jump into Exuma Sound (think deep, big seas) or run the back side, on the bank. Right now the wind is forecast to blow for as long as you can see. I'll probably go the extra 40 miles to run the bank?

No comments:

Post a Comment