Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Where to ride out a storm in the Exumas



In the Exumas, one of the better places to ride out a tropical storm would be Red Shanks anchorage, where I just left from. Mutter, mutter... There are islands all around you, and the bottom is great holding.





Other areas that come to my mind are the pond inside Rudder Cut Cay, which I'm not sure about the ownership of the pond. I do know you'd have to go in past surveillance cameras, barking dogs, and no trespassing signs, that I figure only apply to land. I'd hate to plan on going there and finding out there was an upset land owner. That pond is almost totally surrounded (except for the dredged cut) and I'm not sure of the bottom composition. I started to take the Whaler in there a month ago, but, didn't want to get into a conflict with anybody.





Cave Cay marina is another great, totally surrounded place. I don't know how the holding on the dredged bottom would be in the harbor. If this were a hurricane, I'd go there.





Where I was anchored at Thomas Cay has a lot of current, but provides good wind protection, and is hard enough to get into that I don't expect to see other boats there.





Compass Cay marina claims to have good protection. I'm not sure about that one.





I scoped out Norman's Pond Cay to figure out how to get in there, in the event of a hurricane. It is just further north than I need to go.





The reason I'm in this area is to pick up Dorothy who is flying into Staniel, and will wait until I see if it looks like she cancels before I commit too seriously to where I'm going.





Friends and family can follow me on SPOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment