Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pimlico Cays really are a nice route


For some reason I had the impression that cutting through Pimlico Cays, rather than going out into the Sound was a shallow, treacherous route that should only be done following someone else.  I had no problems coming through there.  If you use the Explorer chart's line on the Garmin, it is a pretty good guide.  

In the near vicinity of the cays themselves, forgot the line, and just follow the deeper water that is very visible.  My pucker factor might have made the trip unenjoyable if I had taken the 4'4" draft through at dead low tide, but in good visibility at a mid to high tide, it gave me enough comfort to roam a little to ascertain how wide some of the areas were. 

The shallowest water of the trip was after the West Pimlicos, and the bar across the Darby's.  If you are going south, and you make those, you have it made.

After I passed by Darby's, I stopped and anchored by the cave on Rudder Cut Cay, and took the Whaler back to snorkel the mermaid.  Thank you David Copperfield!  You added a smile to my trip!  The sculpture of the mermaid is sitting at a grand piano.  I don't know why I didn't take my camera.

I do know why I didn't go get it and bring it back, however.  The rain was coming hard and fast up from the south, and I figured I'd get underway and travel in the rain.  I picked up the anchor, and went less than a mile, and decided to anchor up, wash the salt off the boat, enjoy listening to a book while the storms passed by.

After a little over an hour, I pulled anchor one more time, and headed the inside route all the way to Black Point.

About the time I got anchored up, and things secured, Dorothy texted me to ask if I thought the plane would fly on Thursday, due to the tropical storm.

Sure enough, the storm had decided to head in my direction.  I sure am glad I bought the internet card, where I can read the forecast discussions from the National Hurricane Center.


No comments:

Post a Comment