Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

Bannerman's Castle

Monday, 6 July 2015

We REALLY like the anchorage at Bannerman's Castle.  I'm not sure why... the trains are noisy, there is no place to take the dogs to shore, and the current kicks pretty good thru here.  But, the views are magnificent, the holding is terrific, and we are well out of transversing river traffic.
We waited until about noon to get underway, to ride the current north. Did I mention "wait" on this boat is a misconception.  We did boat chores, caught up on emails, and spent a couple of hours trying to catch the ledger up on monies spent this trip.  Plus, we looked out the window and enjoyed the view!
Shortly before noon, somehow or another I knocked a wooden back scratcher overboard, and promptly launched the RIB to retrieve it.  Ellen made fun of me chasing down a $1 object, and I let her know that I'd launch the boat for her if she fell overboard, too.  It was so far downstream when I caught it that I couldn't even see Ellen's exasperated stare when I waved it in triumph.  
I had another reason for launching the RIB, (my story, and I refuse to change it), and that was to get closer to the castle.  I went in pretty close, and then circled to the north side, for a different perspective.
After I'd returned to the MERCY, and we'd loaded the RIB again, we pulled anchor and started up the river, which was by then, down current....  We rode the flood tide for about two hours while simultaneously making marina arrangements in the other direction in a couple of days to see Ellen's friend.
Although the river is pretty, we certainly got spoiled with the area around West Point.  We became involved in a detailed logistical discussion involving currents, winds, and weather.  At least I was sharing information with Ellen, who was umm-ming in agreement.  Anyhow, we turned around and eased our way along the western bank until we crossed the river, and tucked into our sweet little anchorage.
We got a few more photos of the castle before we anchored.
Tonight, a little after sunset, I saw a man rowing a small sailboat, with a woman sitting at the transom.  The boat had a mast, and was outfitted with running lights, heading up wind, and with the current (yes, I know, everything sounds backwards today) You never know what you'll come across on the water.



No comments:

Post a Comment