Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Boothbay Harbor to Seal Harbor, ME

Friday, 24 July 2015

Today our trip almost overwhelmed my sensory absorption capabilities.  The scenery was spectacular!  I can not put into words how beautiful this place is, and the photographs just can not convey the thrill that I get looking at the view.  
We took on a little fuel in Boothbay, where the fuel is expensive, choosing to top off later on.  We were done fueling and walking the dogs a little sooner than we anticipated, which put us slightly ahead of the rest of the Nordic Tugs.  That is fine with me, since I run a little slower, and was sure the others probably wouldn't have plotted in the same route I had to Seal Harbor... so many islands, so many choices to run!
I heard the other tugs on the radio, when the group spotted whales (which we missed) and I called them to see puffins, which stay in one place!  The puffins evidently nest around Eastern Egg Rock Island.  Three of the tugs ran up our way, and I held my breath, hoping they would all see some of these rare (to us) birds.
The group split again as we took the circuitous short-cut through the lobster float gauntlet, managing to miss them all, but, a few were close calls.  We passed the town of Port Clyde, a spot we will have to come back to!
About the time we emerged from under Mosquito Island, we were in front of four of the tugs that had chosen to come up Muscle Ridge Channel.  We cruise a little slower than most folks choose to, so we asked them to come around.  They all chose not to, since we were still in a gauntlet of lobster floats, so we increased rpms a little.
We saw ENCORE at a distance, and I suppose she waited for us in Seal Cove as we came through the Fox Islands Thoroughfare, because somehow she ended up falling in behind us.
We circled around towards the back of Seal Harbor where four of us anchored, and one boat chose to not come quite as far inside to anchor.
We saw a small seal surface with a fish, and sea gulls diving, hoping for an opportunistic meal.  The seal went under a few times, avoiding the aerial attack, and resurfacing to struggle with a fish that just didn't want to be swallowed.  It appeared the seal eventually won.
Kim, from the MARNICK, and I, and the two dogs, ventured out in the dinghy, but, didn't get far before the rain chased us back to the bigger boats.
I need some help from my birder blog readers... Scott, Lila, Debbie, this means YOU!  Please identify this bird.  They are very common up here, about the same size as the puffins, forage underwater, and are everywhere.  I just don't know what they are.   OK, got answer:  Black Guillemot.
I really need some of my birder friends with me.  There are LOTS of birds I can't identify.  Thankfully, there are still a few I can!  I saw PUFFINS!  Wish all my friends could be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment