Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Boothbay Harbor

Thursday, 23 July, 2015

What a nice area Boothbay Harbor is!  Whether you come by boat, or by car, there is a lot to do from the shore-side, including taking boat trips!  The area is in a gorgeous location, there are lots of places to eat, a trolley service around town, and lots of little touristy shops.
In the morning, Ellen walked to the local grocery store, about 2 miles away, and caught the trolley back.  Linda walked the dogs, and then went exploring by RIB.  A seal swam by looking at the dogs, and we saw a couple small, dark porpoise.
In the afternoon, the dogs napped while Ellen and I caught the trolley into town and had lunch.  I had Maine lobster, and Ellen had scallops!  Yummy!  Then we walked around town, with its shops and buildings built along the hillside.
There are lots of boat trips available.  If I were taking one, it would be the "Kennebec River" trip.  I had already mapped out a circuitous route for us to take on the MERCY, and low and behold, they run that as one of their scenic trips.  I would have gone with them this afternoon, but discovered it too late.  To enjoy my trip, I'd have needed a jacket, binoculars, and a camera.
Walking around town, I didn't need the binoculars or camera, though slipped in and out of my long-sleeved shirt all afternoon.
We walked back along a bridge over a tidal creek, to the side of the harbor where we'd left our dinghy tied up.
In the evening, we gathered on one of the Nordic Tugs, and had fun getting to know the folks better.  What a great group of people!  We'll enjoy their company a few more days as we explore around Maine.
This fellow landed on the sailboat mast next to us, and then pulled a fish out of the water between the two boats.  So, I saw him get the fish at less than 30 feet away.

No comments:

Post a Comment