Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Coecles Harbor to Greenport, LI, NY

Tuesday 14 July 2015

During the night, the forecast had changed once again, and I made the executive decision to go spend the day at Greenport on Monday, rather than Tuesday or Wednesday, so that we could cross Long Island Sound before 20 kt winds were hitting us in the teeth.  
We pulled anchor in Coecles Harbor, and circumnavigated Shelter Island.  I can understand where it got its name with its many coves, there are many places to shelter a boat, with deep water up to the banks in many places.
We did the drive-by of Sag Harbor, with its huge yachts spread for a couple of miles, and then a bunch of smaller boats anchored right outside Sag Harbor.  
Once again we crossed a busy ferry crossing.  I'm really not sure how I can do this easily with boats, when I never could master that game, "Frogger."  I do, however, remember what a poor Frogger player I was whenever I see multiple ferries crossing from both directions.  These two are at the dock, getting ready to shoot out and eat me as I pass.
We got a slip at Brewer's Stirling Harbor Marina, and rode their hourly shuttle the mile and a half into town.  We had a few things on our must see list, and the driver could tell us where they all were.
Greenport is one of those quaint little tourist towns that you don't want to miss.  We walked the old waterfront, and into many of the shops along the way.  Ice cream was on our list, and we figured if we ate ice cream, a late lunch would serve as an early dinner.  Unfortunately, the ice cream place was closed until three, so we opted for an earlier lunch, planning to eat ice cream at three.  After eating lunch, even by three there was no room for ice cream!
The Claudios Restaurant is a Historic Landmark, circa 1845.  The restaurant claims it is the "oldest same family owned restaurant in the United States," so it seemed like a place we ought to go!  We weren't sorry!  As I glanced around the seating area, I didn't see any food that didn't look REALLY good.  Ellen and I both ate their BLT's, Bacon, Lobster, Tomato sandwich, with homemade potato chips and coleslaw.  It was really too much to eat, but somehow, I managed it pretty well.
We tried to walk off enough of the food to eat ice cream, but, never managed that.  We walked over to the ferry dock to see where the "Firefighter" was tied up.  This old fireboat is from New York city.  The fire equipment on it is amazing, though the boat needs a lot of TLC.  The fireboat, like every museum in town, was closed, though I'm not sure why.  Many places said they were closed on Mondays, but, I think its Tuesday...
We saw the old Greenport Carousel, which was open for business.  I had eaten too much to climb on even a wooden horse.
We walked back through town and make a quick stop at the local IGA grocery, and caught the shuttle back to the marina.  The timing was perfect, as it started raining about the time we got back.


















No comments:

Post a Comment