Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Birds in the Everglades

I don't keep a bird list, and may not be the best on some bird identification, BUT, for those of you who are, in this past week, with some bona fide birders with me (thanks Scott, Stratton, Lila, and Rudy, we verified these birds. (Scott email some of the ones I missed! and I'll add them)



First, however, I had to post these shots I took of an osprey eating a large, still flopping fish, as I idled out Tarpon Creek while returning to the boat from Flamingo after dropping off Rudy and Lila.




I shut the boat down, and drifted, and came to rest in the roots immediately under him. He kind of glared at me, but decided I wasn't much of threat to steal his fish.



We weren't even trying to get small birds, though saw lots of warblers, and other small birds we didn't try to identify.  We also saw several duckie-type waterfowl we couldn't identify.  And a few raptor types we never identified.  I refuse to mark sea gulls!

Here's some of our list.Pied-billed Grebe, American White Pelican, Brown Pelican, Doouble-crested Cormorant, Anhinga, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Green Heron, Black-crowned night Heron, Yellow-crowned night heron, Cattle Egret, White ibis, Glossy Ibis, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork, Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Red shoulder hawk, Short-tailed Hawk, Purple Gallinule, American Coot, Greater Yellowlegs, Royal Tern, Belted Kingfishers, American Crow, Northern Mockingbird, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle.

I also heard several types of owls and heard woodpeckers, though I saw neither this year.




 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment