Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tarpon Bay and Otter Creek

2/12/13

Tarpon Bay and Otter Creek
This morning we took the Whaler to see if we could get from Otter Creek to North Prong thru one of the smaller mangrove creeks.

We went up the western side of Tarpon Bay, spotting numerous birds, including flocks of duckie looking birds that were neither teals nor coots. (my bird friends are banging their heads right now). I lost count of the alligators, though this one wanted his photo taken.

Once, when I had the outboard shut off, drifting to listen to the birds, I heard two otters calling to each other, but I never saw them.

Our mission to connect the two waterways was not possible by Whaler, so we ran back out Otter Creek, and down to North Prong. We also tried to get through a creek from there to Avocado Creek, but couldn't squeeze through the overhangs there either. We were however, within a half mile, and there was a lot of waterflow through the creek. If I'd had my kayak and a canoe paddle...

We returned to North Prong, and ran into Rookery Branch a quarter of a mile to drift out while we ate lunch. We stopped for a couple of minutes at Canepatch before returning to the MERCY.

We came down the Little Shark River to anchor in a more open, slightly less buggy area. 25 21.008'N 081 05.198'W We ate dinner and watched my favorite movie of all time, Captain Ron; that Casey and Mary didn't remember seeing before. Every boater needs to watch that movie!

I'm loving life with solar panels and an inverter!

No comments:

Post a Comment