Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Squawk Creek and Rookery Branch

2/4/13

In the morning, I decided I had to investigate a little beyond Avocado Creek into Squawk Creek and Rookery Branch.

Squawk Creek was interesting until it shallowed up enough I turned around. The dark, tannic water was amazing clear on the upper end. The creek was full of snook, and I saw one sawfish! I wasn't aware they went into that much fresh water.

I guess at this point I should mention, that this trip goes from the salt water of Florida Bay, turns brackish, and eventually fresh.

Anyhow, we reentered Acocado Creek, and continued into Rookery Branch. It sounded like a place to see birds, right? There were so many alligators that I wondered if it were an alligator rookery! There were a LOT of herons, woodstorks, ibis (including glossy) turkey vultures, and crows. It is a fun place to see big birds.

I returned out Rookery Branch, and into North Prong, to Tarpon Bay, and meandered through the bay, a couple of my favorite creeks, and back to the MERCY by way of the west side of Tarpon Bay. There are so many great places to explore in the Everglades!

I returned to the MERCY and cruised her back down to the Little Shark River to be able to give my guests arriving the next day the African Queen type adventure up the mangrove rivers....

No comments:

Post a Comment