Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Russell Pass to Little Shark River

2/15/13

This morning I did a few maintenance chores, including pulling apart my raw water washdown strainer to see what was blocking the system. Take a look at this mangrove seed pod that we sucked up. I found her where the hose meets the strainer. It is amazing to me that this could get sucked in, when the hose is only a fraction of a hair larger than this pod! Anyhow, washdown pump fixed!

I also did a couple of things on the internet before picking up the hook, since I've got decent Verizon and AT&T service here. Then the MERCY proceeded out Russell Pass with an outgoing tide, hugging the shore a little tighter on my run south, anticipating stopping at the Broad River and seeing if the entrance to Broad River has changed. Last year I marked it with the Whaler, and could have gotten the MERCY in, but never did. These inlets change so much, that I want to check her out with the 19' before attempting to take the MERCY in this year. I really want to anchor in there and explore with the Whaler. Unfortunately, I'd decided before that it didn't look like a good place when the wind is out of the NE, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get stuck in there until the middle of the week with the weather forecast. It was raining as I passed the Broad River, so I continued down to my much loved, Little Shark River system, with all of its miles of great places to explore, with plans of being holed up with the weather for several days.

About the time I got settled in, I head USCG Key West broadcasting a hazardous weather statement...

Little Shark River and its adjoining connections to the Shark River are full of great anchorages for boats like me, drawing 4' 4" and even deeper draft vessels. I'm in a GREAT place for the predicted blow, anchored up enjoying the rainfall.

I wonder if the two sailboats that were in Russell Pass this morning went north or south. Presently, I'm the only one here, and anyone who comes in today will be here for a couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment