Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

RT Russell Pass to Marco River

2/14/13


It was raining in the morning, and looked like more of the same for the next few days. Casey and Mary decided to call it quits and go tend to matters at the house, and to get ready for their next big cruising adventure in the Pacific NW with their boat.

There was a weather advisory out for this system. It looked awesome rolling in. It was obviously going to be a wet trip!

I love the inside passage from Coon Key to Marco, past Goodland. There are ospreys nesting on many of the channel markers, as well as a few in trees. They are pretty used to people, and we watched one feeding her chicks as we went by.

But, getting ahead of myself. I want at least .7 on the tide to cross the shallow water by Coon Key. We anchored at low tide, which was forecast .4, but lower with the wind, and I poked around with the Whaler. Literally, poked around, with a marked PVC pole. I convinced myself that I ought to be able to make it through on any tide, with the deepest water closer to the back edge of Coon Key bank, a shallow that you could readily see.

We cruised up to Marco Island, and I topped off fuel, gas, water, and ice. (Thanks Casey and Mary!) and said farewell to my friends. I realized that the weather forecast gave me time to return to Russell Pass, and make Little Shark River tomorrow, before heavy winds.

I returned to Russell Pass in the rain. When I saw this, I had to snap a photo. "Run, Forrest, Run!"



There were two sailboats already anchored in the pass. No one else came in behind me. Guess there weren't too many folks running around in the rain... It rained enough rain to wash all the salt off the boat. I made a pot of potato soup, took a hot shower, and enjoyed the internet!

1 comment:

  1. We love Coon Key! We have paddled out there a couple of times and really enjoy the area and the fishing!

    ReplyDelete