Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Calabash Bay



Tuesday, 11 June





Calabash Bay





Calabash Bay makes someone's top ten beaches, Barbara told me, and I've got to admit, it is pretty nice! Mercy dog and I walked, and played, and she dug a few holes at my encouragement. (I try to let her nails get soft in the water, and then when she digs, it manicures her nails up real nice. She likes that better than the nail grinder.)







We met a condo owner there, Don, and he and I walked and talked for over an hour. He works in Tennessee, and was enjoying his first day back in awhile.







By Whaler, Mercy and I explored the tidal creeks behind the island, which are deep enough to get MERCY at low tide. There's just a lot of current back there.





Then we went to the north, and around to the Columbus monument. The bay immediately north of Calabash is a great looking anchorage. I may move there tomorrow if the wind is still up. There are a couple of short, sandy beaches, back-dropped by a rocky coast, with cliffs in the interior of the island.







If you dinghy around beyond the Columbus monument, there is a tidal creek you can get into, and a sandy landing sort of behind the rock. I didn't land there, as I didn't want to anchor, and the Whaler isn't a boat you pull up on the beach!





We returned to the boat and grilled shish-k-bobs, and called it a night



OK, I realize I only had photos of the monument and cliffs, you'll have to keep reading to see if I get the beach when I'm here later!





No comments:

Post a Comment