Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Creek, south of Thompson Bay by Whaler



Saturday, June 22





If I had any more fun exploring day, I don't think I could stand it.





We left the MERCY at our anchorage in Thompson Bay and took the Whaler to the south, stopping first at the government dock in Salt Pond to walk over to the public trash bin and dispose of some garbage. I was amazed that the Long Island Breeze Resort had taken their dock apart when they closed for the season. I knew they were shutting down for a few months, but they picked up their floating dock, the adjustable extension, and about half of the dock boards. Its pretty obvious they don't want boaters tying up there while they are closed.





After disposing of the trash, we went down to the boat ramp to let Mercy-dog stretch her legs for a few minutes.





Then, with the wind puffing away, we rode in the lee down to a point just west of Duncanson Point, closer to that point than Upper Channel Cay to the west. I drifted and looked for conch in the 5' deep water. I saw a 15' Whaler with two guys also looking unsuccessfully for conch. They took off for "the Bight" and I thought it sure was rough to cut across in their little boat.





After I gave up on conch for dinner, I turned south to a point just west of Snapper Creek Cay, where I picked up a very obvious (visually) channel snaking through to the south. After I rounded Blue Hole Cay, I passed along its south coast slowly working my way to the west. I was carefully watching the depths until I picked up the very obvious "the Creek" following the north shore of the islands south of Blue Hole Cay. (I don't see their names.)





The water in here was gorgeous, and calm as the wind blue 20 knots around me. I can not describe all the beautiful colors of blue that were over the sand to the north of Wells Point. My only regret is not checking to make sure there was enough water to bring MERCY in from the south. This would be the ultimate place to ride out a cold front, with tons of dinghy exploration through the protected creeks.





I can tell you, there isn't enough water to come in from the north, and there was barely enough water for me to take the Whaler out of the north end of the channel. Its depth, like many channels in the Keys, just peters out. I crossed through about 3' of water for a couple hundred yards before coming out into more comfortable depths south of Upper Channel Cay.





I beat my way into the wind until I was once again behind the protection of Duncanson Point. I saw a speck in the distance, that proved to be the two conch hunters. I didn't venture out of the lee. I saw one six ft nurse shark meandering towards the way I was coming from.





I also went by the blue hole I wanted to spend a little more time at yesterday. I think I've found two undercuts that I may come back and investigate with a tank sometime.





I also checked the numbers of the wreck of the Marcella, N23 19.830 W075 08.860, which is pretty close to where it is charted. It might be a good snorkel on a calmer day.





I returned to the boat after about a 32nm trek, and a glorious way to spend a day. I also did a little work on my list, ongoing scrubbing of the waterline of the boat. I don't know how I can grow grass so fast.





I called Long Island Petroleum, and got permission to tie the Whaler to their inside dock tomorrow to go to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment