Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Waters around Georgetown



Monday June 3





The weather was gorgeous on Monday, with almost no wind. I left the MERCY anchored off Black Rock, at Stocking Island, and Mercy and I took the Whaler in to Sand Dollar Beach. We anchored towards the western end of the beach, and after walking west to the rocks, we began walking along the beach to the east. About midway down the beach is a 4 x 4 post with a float on top of it, marking a trail inland. We followed that trail right across the middle of the island.







I read in the paper, later, that Georgetown had been flooded with last week's torrential rains, and that there were 6' of water in some places. I put this qualifier in my trail notes, since I came to two areas where the trail went underwater, about shin deep. The water was fresh, from the previous rains. The trail itself was interesting, seeing the tropical vegetation, a bunch of lizards, and some land crabs that are big enough they sound like rabbits when they move in the brush. The trail came out atop a cliff overlooking Exuma Sound. Following the trail further to the right, there are a lot of good views, and a couple of nice benches to sit and enjoy them. Though I could see where someone had climbed down, it certainly wasn't something I would do.





We walked back to the beach on the lee side, and down to the eastern curve before returning to the Whaler.





I grabbed my snorkel gear, and went over to Crab Cay, and snorkeled an underwater cave where the water was springing out. The water was so clear, it was wonderful.





We meandered through the bay, and out the cut east of Fowl Cay, on to Dog Rock, and then Puppy Rocks. Although I had a tank with me, I didn't find any exciting bottom. I even looked to see if I could see the Exumas dive boat, to figure out where they go, without success. I always enjoy putzing and looking!







That evening I went in to the Chat n' Chill to relax along the beach and watch the stingrays swim by while Heather painted numbers on John and Barbara's inflatable. I enjoyed a burger and fries there before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment