Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nothing like a little help



Wednesday 19 June





This morning my mission was to make arrangements to have a replacement insulin pump shipped in. I checked around with the local resort to see if they knew any residents coming back the next couple of days with someone willing to hand carry the pager-sized piece of life support equipment. They knew someone coming in today (too quick) and someone in a couple of days (perfect!) who they were unable to get ahold of. They referred me to a broker who deals in handling bringing in items to the Bahamas.





I spoke with the broker, but was concerned about no one being responsible for an $8K pager-sized piece of equipment in a country where things sometimes get misplaced when coming through Customs.





I called my pastor friends in the islands in the area to see if they had anyone they knew returning from the States the next few days. In a couple of hours, one had called me with some contact info, and I was in business. I called the others and told them I was taken care of, and talked directly with the Good Samaritan in the States, and then Animas, the insulin pump company. I feel so much better!





The issue isn't Customs, since medical equipment is duty free, and even if it wasn't, I wouldn't be charged since its coming to me on the boat, and not for re-sale. However, the pumps aren't supposed to be x-rayed, and they are so tiny, (and so expensive) that I can't afford for it to get lost. The pump is replaced under warranty, but I'd have to buy another if it were lost.





Thanks to my not yet met Good Samaritan for their good deed. (Wish I'd been brave enough to ask them to bring a wi-fi antenna, but figured I'd save my favors for more life-important matters!) It sure is nice having church family in so many places!




No comments:

Post a Comment