Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hoosie Harbour, Cape Santa Maria, Long Island



Tuesday 18 June





Today was a day with only minimal walking, and that barefoot on the soft sand while the top of skinned toe heals. How did I do that? I don't even know. I suspect it has something to do with hitting a dog bone in the dark. For those of you who don't know, Mercy-dog has her favorite bones, that are about a foot long, jagged on the ends, and enjoyed by my girl with her beautiful pearly whites for about fifteen minutes every evening. They weigh in at a couple of pounds, and I've lost track over the years how many times I've broken a toe nail or skinned a toe running into them in the dark. Time will tell if I've saved money on vet dental bills or lost money with a broken toe.





We took the Whaler into the creek that twists around behind Cape Santa Maria resort, following it all the way back to a low bridge that is too narrow for the Whaler to pass under. If it could, it would be less than two miles until I met the area I explored in Joe's Creek. There are some caves that look worth exploring by an inflatable or kayak, but with the wind, and the unknown draft, I chose not to go over there today. Besides, there were folks from the resort enjoying their kayaks over there, and I like to give those with exploring mind sets the feeling that they are the only ones who go there....





I took Mercy-dog back to the beach, and scrubbed off the grassy growth on the Whaler while she played in the sand. I wish I could stand in waist deep water and do the MERCY that way!





I met the couple on the Fly-N-Fish, Hank and Sue, who are retired pilots from the States, who now live in the Bahamas. They are here for their niece's wedding in a few days. (What a gorgeous spot for a wedding!) They normally have a helicopter on the stern of their 45' boat. I would love to see that! They have a retractable bridge that lowers to provide extra blade clearance. The helicopter overhangs the stern. I talked to the couple for a long time, and they seem like great folks!





On a down side, my water-proof insulin pump flooded today. I generally remove it when going in the water, but, I had jumped into waist deep water when I was taking Mercy to the beach, and had left it on while I scrubbed off the boat. I've snorkeled with it before, but, I usually just take it off. The company will replace it under warranty, the matter is just to figure out how to get it over here....

No comments:

Post a Comment