Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Allen's Cay, Highbourne Cay, Norman's Cay.



Saturday May 18, 2013

When I began this trip, I was hustling to get down to Crooked Islands and to the Acklins. This morning, after listening to the long term forecast for this next week, I decided that time constraints were not going to allow that in time to return north of the Tropic of Cancer by June 1. (insurance stuff)

So now I have switched into explore mode.

I took the Whaler from Highbourne to Allens Cay to see the iguanas. I remember the first time I was there, in the 90's, how impressed I was with the ugly, prehistoric looking creatures, that would charge the skiff when you came near the shore, looking for hand-outs. Since exotic iguanas have inundated the Florida Keys, much of my iguana watching has been through the scope of a pellet rifle, and I am not nearly so enamored by their looks.


When I arrived at the cays, there was a group of college-age looking kids with a few snares, wandering about the island. The iguanas were all hidden. I went to the northernmost key, and saw a couple of iguanas.  I also saw this osprey.

I moved the MERCY down to anchor on the western side of Norman's Cay, and ran the Whaler to the north, along the beach, into the gorgeous anchorage on the SW side of Saddle Cay. That anchorage would be accessible by the east, or the north, watching for the shoals on the north. Mercy-dog and I enjoyed the sand spit that was here at low tide.




This little island, just off Norman's Cay, has got to be one of the most "postcard" looking islands I've ever seen.  It is truly beautiful!




Then we went by Whaler to the south, into the anchorage inside Norman's, and cruised over to look at the plane, still visible and awash, famous from the drug days of Carlos Lehder.


We went into Norman's Cay Pond, carefully marking our route to return for a hurricane hole, if we need one in this area. Some nice homes have been built in here since I was here last.


There was one 5.8' spot on, if Norman's follows Nassau by 30 minutes, about a 1.8' tide. This vessel was up in the far corner.

I scrubbed on the waterline, de-grassing the MERCY until my arms were tired, while the current was slack. Then I cooked a great dinner and enjoyed another beautiful evening in the Exumas.

N24 36.660' W076 49.223 in sand 8'


No comments:

Post a Comment