Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Norman's Cay to Thomas Cay

Sunday , May 19 

Due to the forecast 20-25+ kt SE winds for the next couple of days, I started figuring out a good anchorage area for several days. I decided to look for a good spot between Compass Cay and Sampson Cay.

I ran down the western side of Compass Cay and anchored about .3nm below the NE tip of Pipe Cay, temporarily, while looking for a better spot with the Whaler.

The Pipe Cay anchorage would probably be an ok spot, if I couldn't find any better. The current screams through there, and the wind was 20-ish. The sand bar to the east provides protection from the wakes of the dozens of outboards that seem to be cruising through there from Staniel to Compass. Where I dropped the hook, slightly up on the bank, in 11' of water, the sand was great holding. I just didn't like the spot. N24 15.281' W076 30.795




I took the Whaler, working to the south, following, more or less, Garmin's recommended route, until I found the PERFECT spot! I am currently anchored off the western side of Thomas Cay, about half way down.

I have good electronics on the Whaler and on the MERCY. Unfortunately, I have no way to communicate the tracks I have made with the Garmin on the Whaler to the Raymarine on the MERCY. The easiest fix? I carry an iPad! I scouted out several different paths across the final bar coming in here, picked the one I wanted, and recorded my "final" track back to the boat on Garmin's Blue Chart on the iPad. I pretty much followed that track to my present anchorage with the MERCY.




It is funny how dependent we become on electronics. In the early 90's, I followed this same shallow water route down with my old boat, which drew considerably less, without the benefit of GPS or cartography. I think I had a copy of the Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas, and created my own sketch charts. Unfortunately, most of my old sketches succumbed to mildew and were destroyed. It is amazing all the advances that have been made with computers and electronics in my lifetime.

Anchored N24 14.245' W076 25.425' 14' in sand 35nm today

No comments:

Post a Comment