Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

West Bay to Highbourne Cay



Fri 5/17/13

The day dawned with light winds about 110 and partly cloudy skies. I haven't been rained on yet, all trip.

I exited West Bay on the northern side through the reef, and ran just offshore into Nassau. I was surprised at all the construction along the beach enroute.
Nassau harbor is always an interesting place to pass through, with floating things from ships to paddleboards. I tried to get a few photos to share.



I pulled into the Texaco Star, Harbor View for fuel, to top off my water tanks, and rinse some of the salt off the boat. Niko, the young man who is the fuel attendant there is always very friendly and helpful.


As I left the western end of New Providence, I initially headed towards Elbow Cay, but pretty quickly changed course for a shorter trip on a better run to Highbourne Cay.

I anchored on the west side of the island, where I've frequently seen boats anchored, and was surprised how many kept piling in. There was a swell rolling through, and I checked my favorite cove around the corner to the north, and found it much better. With the Whaler, I found that there was enough water to get MERCY between the reef and the beach, so moved the boats around.


The northern cove has a gorgeous sand beach on its southern end, and is surrounded by high bluffs to the east, and lower rocks to the west. The sand there is good holding, and Mercy-dog and I love to walk the beach.  A vhf call to the marina with a request to visit their beach is usually answered with a pleasant reminder to not leave any trash.  It is a sad state that so many cruisers are so thoughtless.

The SKIPJACK was anchored in the cove, with Jack and Marla. They had been anchored well below me in the Berry's.


Four Bahamian sportfishing boats, each towing 20ft skiffs, came in and anchored directly upwind of me, three rafted together. They looked like they were having a good vacation with their boats full of families. Initially, their anchoring was pretty disconcerting, but, after they put out three bow anchors, and two stern anchors, keeping their bow into the swell rather than the wind..... I decided they would be so tangled together if they drug, that I would only have to dodge one large mass, rather than three drifting missiles. Sometime late, tranquility returned to the bay when the fleet went to bed.

Anchored N24 43.492' W 076 49.440' 8' in sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment