Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Black Point

Saturday, May 25

The MERCY remained anchored at Black Point N24 06.127' W076 24.044'



The weather was gorgeous, the wind had settled, though I understand that will be changing. I took the Whaler through Dotham Cut, which was interesting with the full moon tidal current flowing out to the east, even meeting a less than 5 knot wind, created two foot short choppy swells, though only for a few hundred feet from the entrance. I worked my way south for a mile, eye-balling the cliffs along the coast, before turning north, and meandering to the north to the Sampson Cay entrance.




The limestone bluffs facing the prevailing winds are beautiful. I stopped and watched a dozen tropic birds flying around the cliffs on Bitter Guana for fifteen minutes.




I searched in vain for a spectacular dive site. It is really pathetic that my standards have gotten so high! There were so many boats trolling along the drop off that I didn't look deeper than 30ft.



I went into Sampson Cay for gas, which was rumored to be cheaper at Sampson Cay, and then returned meandering through the inside back to the boat by way of a sand beach or two, Pig Beach, Thunderball Grotto, and Bitter Guana.




Tonight I am in the company of one other trawler, and four sailboats, spaciously scattered throughout this huge anchorage, enjoying the majestic full moon.







No comments:

Post a Comment