Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Exploring the area around the Thomas Cay anchorage.


Monday, May 20th

From my present anchorage, I have protection from the wind in every direction. The current is flowing through pretty briskly, as would be expected on this phase of the moon, coming full.

For the most part, I am out of the wakes of the outboards heading to and from Compass Cay, at least they are negated some by the bar that lies between me and the channel they are running.



At low tide, Mercy-dog and I took the Whaler and went exploring. We ran slightly south to the cut between Thomas Cay and Overyonder Cay, and then along the northern coast of Rat Cay (Wild Tamarind Cay) We couldn't pass up the huge exposed sand flat to the east of Little Pipe Cay, and Mercy-dog and I walked and played on that for awhile. Then we continued through the deep channel immediately north of Little Pipe Cay, between that island and the little gazebo on the neighboring rock, and found the magnificent anchorage between Pipe Cay and Little Pipe Cay. If I wasn't in such a good spot already, to be anchored down for blowing rain squalls... I may move there in a couple of days. N24 14.086' W076 30.172'



There is a huge sand bar running north from the southeastern tip of Pipe Cay, separated by a channel 4.8' at a below normal low tide. There were a couple of 50' boats on moorings in that channel. I don't know who manages the moorings. The current was kicking in there, and the anchorage was very narrow. There were two small boats pulled up to the sand flat, with their occupants enjoying a walk on the exposed beach.  



We worked our way north, between Hattie and Little Hattie Cay, stopping on an exposed sand bar. I won't pass through there again. The channel was about twice as wide as the boat, and the current was ripping. 

We returned to the MERCY and one of us napped, and one of us vacuumed. Mercy-dog did wake up long enough to give me a kiss for cleaning up.

Anchored N24 14.245' W076 25.425' 14' in sand 0nm today

No comments:

Post a Comment