Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Crossing the Gulf Stream



Sunday, May 12, 2013

At 0500 I was awoke to SE winds about 17kts. Hmmm. I have confidence in the forecast GRIB, the pressure gradients, Chris Parker's weather, Passagemaker, and most importantly, my seafaring experience. I was pretty sure that the winds would be dropping later in the day, and since the first couple hours of my trip are in Hawk's Channel, I began my journey. I did an engine round and once again checked around the boat to make sure everything was secured. I attached a strobe light to the Whaler, and tied off the wheel. Then I raised anchor and started out the channel, dropping the Whaler back into a long tow.

At 0500, there was no moon, and it was dark! I love radar. I passed two sailboats anchored in the middle of the channel with no anchor lights, and one powerboat anchored in the middle of the channel off Little Palm Island with no anchor lights. When I passed along side him, I looked longingly at his underwater lights (I'd love to have some) and thought it was interesting he'd left them on, but not an anchor light.

Hawks channel was choppy, and it wasn't long before the boat was thoroughly initiated with salt spray. I left Hawk's channel south of Big Pine Key Shoal, hoping the seas would have a longer period between them, and that helped a little. 

Why do I do this? By about 1000 I was wondering just what I love about boating. I mean, for this trip, the effort involved in preparations is ridiculous. I have provisions on board for the duration of the trip. All the planning, the exertion, the expense. I was tired, and barely into my trip. I am not normally sea sick, but, I was feeling a little queasy. All I could smell were mangoes. It was everything I could do to keep from throwing them overboard.  But, I knew I'd be sorry later if I did! I ate a banana, and that helped. I think I could tell when the folks prayed for me before church!

Going anywhere, doing anything, can take a lot of effort. It is always a little hard to get moving towards anything great. Besides, I need to beat the forecast winds to the Bahamas.

As the day progressed, things improved. I felt better, the Gulf Stream pushed us along, and the seas slowly subsided. My calculations for the Stream turned out pretty well, with me steering 090 and drifting northward with the Stream. 

I remember why I like this! As the waters calmed, I enjoyed the gorgeous, crystal clear, deep blue of the depths of the Gulf Stream. I fixed a wrap, and enjoyed an easy meal. I watched as three ships converged within a 3 mile circle of each other, and was glad their convergence wasn't any closer to me.

I took a shower on the deck, and felt refreshed. I fixed a chef salad (another easy meal).... hmmm I think I've been snacking all day.

I jumped onto the Bahamas Bank around 2230, between Orange Cay and Riding Rocks, and was determined to keep running until I lost the tide. The waters were calm, and we had a half a knot push.

I dropped the hook at 0125, as I slowly began to buck a current. What a great excuse to go to bed!

I shut off the engine, and stood on the bow for a minute, enjoying the magnificence of a starry sky without background light. I love the smell of the air, and being far enough from land that we could sleep mosquito free. As much as I enjoy that, I was bushed, and within about another 30 seconds, I was in bed and asleep.

150nm travelled today










No comments:

Post a Comment