Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Berry Island Club to Morgan's Bluff




May 15, 2013

Today the winds were forecast 17-22kts out of the ENE, swinging more to the east tomorrow. I decided to follow my two sailboat friends into Morgan's Bluff, and the quiet anchorage there, which is a nice spot to be, except when the wind has a northerly component.

The following seas aft of my port quarter made for an easy ride, and by 1100 we were safely anchored in the SE corner of the bay, in good holding sand. I saw some grass on the bottom, but just dodged those spots. The wind picked up considerably during the afternoon, before it swung more to the east, putting a slow swell into the bay. The timing of our trip was great.

I defrosted my refrigerator, hoping it will cool a little better, and then set about exploring.

While the wind was blowing, Mercy-dog and I took the Whaler to the beach in the far SE corner. Walking up the bank to the east reveals a gravel road, turn 100 feet to the right, and it meets a paved road. Turn left 100 yards on the paved road, and you see a sign marking Henry Morgan's Cave. The cave is to the right. There are several little sinks, which puts daylight in the top of the cave in a few places. Legend has it that the pirate Henry Morgan hid his treasure here. Nobody confesses to knowing what happened to it.




If you continue on the paved road past the cave, you come to the closed up water plant facility. Until a couple of years ago, Nassau sent water tankers to Andros for fresh water to support its population. When they island of New Providence went to desalination facilities, the waterage facility was retired.







It was a little bit of a sad walk for me, to see the thriving water facility shut down, the buildings boarded up, and a couple of sunken boats alongside the pier.







My uncle had been instrumental in the development and operation of that facility years ago. He had told me stories of the wonderful times he'd had at Morgan's Bluff.  I wish I had asked him more about it before his death..

From the end of the paved road at the water facility, you can loop back along the pier and the bay front along the gravel road, and when you intersect where you joined it from the beach, your loop is completed. It is a nice walk.




I grilled pork chops, potatoes, and onions, and, as I listen to Mercy-dog snoring away, think I'll call it an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment