Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Green Cay, Tongue of the Ocean

Since I’m not actually underway, but, am trying to get a few of my readers back before departing to the Bahamas again, I figured it is a good time to tell sea stories.

 Several years ago, I cruised into where I planned to anchor for the night, on the northern side of Green Cay shortly after dark.  That is the Green Cay east of Andros, south of New Providence, west of the Exuma chain, on the eastern edge of the Tongue of the Ocean. 

 I surveyed the area as we came around the island with the radar.  It appeared as though we had the island to ourselves.  As we dropped the anchor, we heard a shout, coming from the uninhabited island.  We killed the engine, and listened for a minute, and heard someone yelling, “Heeeeyyyy!”

 After a brief discussion about safety and logistics, my friend, Steve, took the tender and a flashlight in to shore to render assistance.  I monitored the situation from the boat with a pair of binoculars.  I could hear Steve yelling out a “hello” but couldn’t hear a response.  I watched as Steve surveyed the coast with his flashlight, and I turned the searchlight from the boat, and ran it along the shore.  I saw no one.

 Steve returned to the boat, and no sooner than he’d climbed aboard, telling me he heard and seen no one, we heard a yell again.  “Heeeyyyy!”  Another scan with the searchlight showed nothing.

 We spent a restless night, worried about who would call us, and then hide, and who might swim out to the vessel during the night.

 In the morning, we went ashore, determined to look for signs of life.  The rocky shore showed no tracks, but as soon as we got to a patch of sand, we found the prints of where our prankster had walked the night before.  The grounds were littered with shotgun shells.

 


We eventually saw some of the culprits at a distance.

 


Over the years, I’ve talked to several other boaters who have spent hours, and sleepless nights looking for that distressed sailor who seems to always try to signal boats that arrive around dark.

"Heeeeyyyyy!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment